Thursday 15 April 2010

Free Jazz, the Muse and Mythology


For the first time since arriving in Cusco, I actually forgot that I was in the land of the Incas for an hour and a half last night. I dared to venture out alone after dark to go to a jazz concert I had seen advertised. As I was sitting waiting for the music to start, I could have been in an auditorium in London, Geneva, Barcelona or New York: a Steinway on the stage in front of me (albeit an old and ornately carved one) and people talking in hushed voices or playing with their mobile phones. I must admit I found this ambience terribly reassuring – it must be all those Jazz Classics concerts I’ve been to with Erik at the Victoria Hall! This free concert, given by the Edward Perez Trio was held at the North American Bi-national Center – a hub of cultural events in the city and literally two minutes from Anastassja’s future home. Unfortunately, she was not with me (busy teaching) because I am sure that she would have loved it and in particular the pianist, Shai Maestro  (could a name be more appropriate?). He clearly has a classical background (shades of Bach) and I was able to exchange a few words with him after the show to tell him how much I had enjoyed the performance. Click on the links in this text and judge for yourself! (My first attempt at posting a video  I shot myself didn't work). Later in the evening, I met Anastassja at the Muse, where we dined gringo-style (again, very reassuring) and then on to the Mythology, where we did without the salsa (too late arriving) and settled for Lady Gaga instead! A very fun evening – my last night out in Cusco!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

peregrinations

"The visitor must have a fund of intelligent imagination and a blind eye for incongruities and then his peregrinations will be a remembered pleasure."

Wanderings in Wessex - An Exploration of the Southern Realm from Itchen to Otter