Thursday 8 April 2010

Cusco




I can’t make up my mind about Cusco, but I guess it’s still early days. I think it’s the sort of place that accentuates your mood – but your mood comes first. If you’re feeling happy because it’s sunny and you’ve slept well, Cusco has a lot of charm – it’s lively and there are some beautiful colonial buildings. The surrounding mountains are impressive and it has a kind of togetherness about it. However, if it’s grey or rainy and your nerves are a little frayed, it’s noisy, dirty and full of poor people (in traditional attire or not) hoping to get a sole out of you by fair means or foul. At night, it is beautifully lit and Cusco’s unique location, cradled in a nest of mountains that are often higher than the Mont Blanc, is even more apparent.  I’ll come back to the theme of Cusco later in my stay here….  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

peregrinations

"The visitor must have a fund of intelligent imagination and a blind eye for incongruities and then his peregrinations will be a remembered pleasure."

Wanderings in Wessex - An Exploration of the Southern Realm from Itchen to Otter